***BREAKING STRIDE WITH THE LARGE COLLECTION WE'VE BEEN WORKING THROUGH, BUT WILL BE BACK TO THAT WITH A HUGE BATCH OF RARE JAZZ VOCAL LPS IN THE COMING WEEKS. RIGHT NOW WE'VE GOT A ONE-TIME BATCH OF 80+ VERY RARE ORIGINAL JAZZ LPS & ACETATESâ€¦
ARTIST : MOONDOG
TITLE : MOONDOG + GROUP
LABEL & CATALOG NUMBER : NO LABEL (AUDIODISC BLANK) / NO NUMBER
FORMAT : ACETATE 78rpm 12"
COVER CONDITION : NO COVER, as issued.
VINYL CONDITION : EX very clean, some minor surface scuffs only. acetate playing surface shows perfect, bright gloss, and deep well-cut grooves. no chipping or loss to acetate playing surface at all, just a couple tiny chips at outer edge. standard blank audiodisc labels display hand-penned artist & track notes, as well as date : august 8, 1952. clean labels with very slight dirt only. plays with some surface noise typical to the medium, but exceptionally clear & present fidelity. HEAR IT below.
NOTES : extremely rare 78rpm 12" ACETATE, the only copy known to exist. this disc contains 4 tracks, with a total play time of approx. 10 minutes. the 4th track, here titled 'MOONDOG + GROUP' taking up the entire side 2, has been researched bywolfgang gnida, curator of moondogâ€™s corner website, and confirmed to be entirely UNRELEASED in any form. it is a previously undocumented performance, absent from the moondog archives in munster, germany, that has never been released, circulated, or reissued in any form. likewise, the 1st track, here titled 'ON THE STREET' is a perviously unknown and unreleased early version, which would later appear in 1953 on the 'ON THE STREETS OF NEW YORK' 7" EP (MARS / MREP-A2). that released version slightly edits this take and adds additional overdubbed percussion. please see below for specific track by track details.
the origin of this acetate is unknown. it was possibly produced by LOUIS & BEBE BARRON, or by TONY SCHWARTZ. the label is dated august 8, 1952, although at least 2 of these tracks (both 'ORGAN ROUNDS') were recorded in 1950 or earlier and released by SMC. if all 4 tracks originate from one session or from different master tape sources likewise remains unknown. we can only speculate.
we know that the barronâ€™s recorded moondog on the air in december 1951 (*see separate listing of the 'MUSIC & MOONDOG' acetate). we know that all 8 tracks on the rare 'SNAKETIME SERIES' 10" on CRESCENT RECORDS (*see separate listing) also were recorded by the barronâ€™s at their SOUND PORTRAITS studio (aka BARRON SOUND STUDIOS) in greenwich village, NY. finally, we know that by early 1956 moondog had launched MOONDOG RECORDS, in anticipation of which we believe the CRESCENT 10" (ca. 1953-1955) was probably an abandoned prototype. it seems reasonable to speculate that in august 1952 moondog was gathering material both old and new for planned independent release on his own label. if true, this AUDIODISC acetate may have been made by the barronâ€™s at moondog's request.
TRACK 1, here titled 'ON THE STREET' is a perviously unknown and unissued early version, which would later appear in 1953 on the 'ON THE STREETS OF NEW YORK' 7" EP (MARS / MREP-A2) under the new title 'AVENUE OF THE AMERICAS (51st STREET)'. that released version edits out a quick "okay" at the very start of the take, and adds additional overdubbed percussion. the version here, like the released version, is solo moondog, opening with street noise and using his well known primitive overdubbing technique.
TRACK 2, here titled 'ORGAN ROUNDS' seems to be the same version previously released in 1950 under the title 'ORGAN ROUNDS PART TWO' as the 2nd side of a shellac 78 on SMC PRO-ARTE, later reissued in 1957 on 'THE STORY OF MOONDOG' lp on PRESTIGE. this track is solo moondog, using his well known primitive overdubbing technique.
TRACK 3, here also titled 'ORGAN ROUNDS' is an edited version of the track previously released in 1950 under the title 'ORGAN ROUNDS PART ONE' as the 1st side of a shellac 78 on the SMC PRO-ARTE. this shorter version quickly fades in about 8 seconds later then the released version, and fades out at approx. 1 minute, about 1 minute shorter then the released version. this track is solo moondog, using his well known primitive overdubbing technique.
TRACK 4, here titled 'MOONDOG + GROUP' covers all of side two, has been confirmed to be entirely UNRELEASED in any form, unique to this rare acetate. unlike the other 3 tracks, this is a wonderful extended live group session with opening & closing movements around a mid-section break. during the break all 4 of musicians introduce themselves & their instrument, followed by a brief solo from each player. the ensemble includes: MOONDOG, MARY, DAVID & JIMMY. in all likelihood, david is DAVID BUTTERFIELD, credited on other moondog releases in the later 1950s.
the recording quality & fidelity throughout is exceptional, with a very clear & present sound, despite some inherent surface noise. there can be no doubt that these were well-produced recording sessions, professionally cut to acetate from high quality source tapes, likely the original masters.
this is the same copy that sold here on ebay in 2007. no other copy is know to exist. by all accounts a highly important & unique discovery, in amazingly clean condition. please contact us with any additional information you may have about this acetate.
please LISTEN to samples of all 4 tracks below, unaltered & taken directly from the actual acetate listed :
***PLEASE CHECK OUR OTHER LISTINGS FOR 80+ MORE RARE JAZZ LPS, ALL STARTING AT $9.99. MANY GREAT & OBSCURE TITLES...
------- the general stuff :
- PLEASE NOTE : US orders over $200.00 will require insurance / OVERSEAS orders over $200.00 will require PRIORITY shipping / OVERSEAS orders over $1000.00 will require EXPRESS shipping. if you need to know exact rates please inquire BEFORE bidding. thank you.
- PLEASE WAIT FOR MY INVOICE BEFORE PAYING TO INSURE YOU GET THE CORRECT & BEST SHIPPING PRICE...
- PLEASEâ€¦ if you have any problem with your purchase, before leaving feedback or taking other action, please just contact me & we'll work it out!
- i've been selling records in person & through the mail for 15+ years, both on & off ebay, with 100% positive feedback on over 2500 ratings through my other ebay account. i know how to grade (strict, that is) how to pack, and rest assured i aim to please.
- for grading i use : M (rarely) / NM / NM- / EX / VG++ / VG+ / VG / VG- / F graded under bright bare-bulb direct lightâ€¦ unless there are specific mentions of audio quality please consider grading as VISUAL ONLY.
------- the shipping stuff :
- i pack very solid using new high quality heavy weight lp mailers with two (or more) new cardboard filler pads. all unsealed lps are shipped out of the cover, and new inner sleeves & polybags will be added when needed. always willing to double box, etc. as requested, at slight extra cost.
- delivery confirmation & tracking will be included with all domestic orders.
- single lp shipping rates * please note in most cases 2 LPS SHIP FOR THE SAME RATES AS 1 LP! can depend on exact weight so inquire. -
lp - $5.00 tracked media mail in the usa.
lp - $10.00-$16.00 priority mail in the usa, rates vary.
lp - $15.00 1st class airmail to canada.
lp - $24.00 overseas 1st class airmail.
lp - $36.00 overseas registered airmail.
- domestic orders over $200.00 will require insurance.
- overseas orders over $200.00 will require registered or priority shipping.
- overseas orders over $1000.00 will require express shipping.
- all orders to ITALY, RUSSIA, and POSSIBLY OTHER COUNTRIES over $50.00 will require registered or priority shipping, at the buyers expense. likewise, buyers with low feedback and/or unconfirmed shipping address may be required to purchase registered or priority shipping, at the buyers expense, at my discretion. please ask BEFORE BIDDING if you have concerns.
- overseas customers please note, before bidding : import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the shipping charges. these charges are the buyer's responsibility. please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying.
- happy to combine shipping on any order for the best rates. if you need to know the actual shipping cost for a combined order please ask ahead of time & i'll check options.
- I SHIP QUICK! usually within 24 of payment & almost always within 48.