***INTRO TO THIS SALE - PLEASE READ*** : BREAKING STRIDE WITH THE LARGE COLLECTION WE'VE BEEN WORKING THROUGH, BUT WILL BE BACK TO THAT WITH A HUGE BATCH OF RARE JAZZ VOCAL LPS IN THE COMING WEEKS. RIGHT NOW WE'VE GOT A ONE-TIME BATCH OF VERY RARE ORIGINAL JAZZ LPS & ACETATES. THIS WEEK A HANDFUL OF THE RAREST & MOST UNIQUE ITEMS FROM THE COLLECTION, ALL AT FIXED PRICES. AT THE END OF THE WEEK WE'LL START AN AUCTION WITH ~75 MORE TITLESâ€¦ THE ITEMS CURRENTLY LISTED MAY BE INCLUDED IN THAT AUCTION IF THEY HAVENâ€™T SOLD AT FIXED PRICE OR THROUGH PRIVATE SALE. IF YOUâ€™RE SERIOUS, THEREFORE, PLEASE CONTACT US THIS WEEK. PRICES REFLECT CONSIDERABLE RESEARCH INTO THIS SELECTION FEATURING SOME OF JAZZ RECORD COLLECTINGâ€™S MOST NOTABLE RARITIESâ€¦
ARTIST : MOONDOG
TITLE : MUSIC AND MOONDOG
LABEL & CATALOG NUMBER : SOUND PORTRAITS / NO NUMBER
FORMAT : ACETATE LP
COVER CONDITION : NO COVER, as issued. does include the original generic manila sleeve with various marking in pen & marker, of unknown significance.
VINYL CONDITION : SIGNIFICANT CONDITION ISSUES - PLEASE READ CLOSELY : it appears that age & some type of chemical reaction have caused the acetate coating to shrink over the years, resulting in splitting & loss. side one VG- with some lost acetate at outer edge. about 1/3rd of this loss is playing surface, which renders approx. the first 2 minutes of this side unplayable. otherwise the side one surface is intact with some thin beginning splits at track separations. side two F with significant acetate surface loss, which renders approx. 3/4 of the full side unplayable. the surface is splitting & beginning to lift around the label as well, but for the moment the last approx. 3 minutes of the side could still be played. both sides show acetate surface reaction which has caused a dull surface haze. in need of a deep cleaning, if possible. the hand-typed labels are undamaged. playback has consistent surface but still quite listenable. please HEAR IT below.
NOTES : extremely rare 33rpm ACETATE LP from 1951, the only copy known to exist and very possibly the only surviving document of these important recordings. the disc contains two complete episodes from the 'MUSIC AND MOONDOG' radio show, a short-lived serial on WNEW FM new york, originally broadcasting saturday nights. this was a fully produced radio program featuring narration, interview, and of course moondog's music. we believe these to be the first 2 episodes. it is unknown if more episodes were ever created. the two recordings are clearly dated on the labels as 12/9/1951 on side one, and 12/16/1951 on side two. all of this material is completely UNRELEASED and has never been circulated or reissued in any form, as confirmed by wolfgang gnida, curator of moondogâ€™s corner website. likewise these recordings are absent from the moondog archives in munster, germany.
as labeled, this acetate lp was clearly made by LOUIS & BEBE BARRON, at their SOUND PORTRAITS (aka BARRON SOUND STUDIOS) recording studio in greenwich village, NY. the barron's were highly significant as pioneers of electronic music & experimental recording techniques, most widely known for their film score to 'FORBIDDEN PLANET' in 1956, the first entirely electronic film score ever made. throughout the late 1940s & 1950s the barron's were known to invite artist into their studio for recording sessions, and they produced spoken recording with ANAIS NIN, HENRY MILLER, TENNESSEE WILLIAMS, and ALDUS HUXLEY among others. some of these recordings were released on their tiny CONTEMPORARY CLASSIC record label. they are also credited with recording many of moondog's most well known 50s recordings. his 1956 'SNAKETIME SERIES' lp on his own MOONDOG RECORDS (reissued the same year on PRESTIGE, retitled simply 'MOONDOG') gives direct credit to all material having been recorded by the barron's. likewise his extremely rare 'SNAKETIME SERIES' 10" on CRESCENT RECORDS, released at some point before the creation of MOONDOG RECORDS, and containing some material different from the later lp version (*see separate listing for more details) also gives direct credit to having been recorded by the barrons.
the undoubtedly interesting relationship between moondog & the barrons in the early 50s has so far remained largely undocumented. while the exact story of this acetate lp remains somewhat of a mystery, it may very well be the first chapter in the story of that relationship. a short snippet of radio music at the very end of the side one program indicates this acetate was recorded directly from the original radio broadcasts by the barron's, rather then being a transcription disc. whether or not the barron's had a hand in the original production remains unknown. it does however seem quite likely that at this point in late 1951 they were already well aware of moondog, and clearly interested in him enough to record these broadcasts. perhaps it was this very recording that inspired the barrons to pursue a recording session with moondog, bringing together three highly creative & unique minds to create some of the most interesting and distinctive recordings of the 1950s.
as noted in the record grading above, this acetate has SIGNIFICANT CONDITION ISSUES. this same copy original sold on ebay 5 years ago, for $4,570.00. at that time cracking & loss of the acetate surface was noted. clearly, whatever reaction was taking place to the fragile material (likely as a result of 65 years in a reactive manila paper sleeve) has continued to take its toll on this disc up until in came into our hands earlier this year. it has now been properly sleeved & will be shipped with greatest possible care in hopes of preventing any further damage.
despite inescapable condition issues, this unique disc remains a highly significant discovery - and the only surviving document - of early moondog on the air in new york. it belongs in a serious collection / archive where it can be properly cleaned, transferred, and preserved. if you have any additional information, please contact us.
please LISTEN to a couple short audio samples below, unaltered & taken directly from the actual acetate listed :
DOMESTIC BUYERS will receive FREE FULLY INSURED PRIORITY SHIPPING on this item, packed with utmost care. OVERSEAS BUYERS please inquire before purchase to discuss shipping options to your country, as this item will requite insured express shipping.
***PLEASE CHECK OUR OTHER LISTINGS FOR A HANDFUL OF THE RAREST & MOST UNIQUE ITEMS FROM THIS COLLECTION, AND PLEASE WATCH FOR ~75 MORE TITLES COMING AT $9.99 AUCTION NEXT WEEK, INCLUDING MORE RARE LPS FROM THESE SAME ARTISTS AS WELL AS MANY MOREâ€¦ PLEASE INQUIRE FOR MORE DETAILSâ€¦
------- the general stuff :
- PLEASE WAIT FOR MY INVOICE BEFORE PAYING TO INSURE YOU GET THE CORRECT & BEST SHIPPING PRICE, EBAY CALCULATION MAY OVER CHANGEâ€¦
- PLEASEâ€¦ if you have any problem with your purchase, before leaving feedback or taking other action, please just contact me & we'll work it out!
- i've been selling records in person & through the mail for 15+ years, both on & off ebay, with 100% positive feedback on over 2500 ratings through my other ebay account. i know how to grade (strict, that is) how to pack, and rest assured i aim to please.
- for grading i use : M (rarely) / NM / NM- / EX / VG++ / VG+ / VG / VG- / F graded under bright bare-bulb direct lightâ€¦ unless there are specific mentions of audio quality please consider grading as VISUAL ONLY.
------- the shipping stuff :
- i pack very solid using new high quality heavy weight lp mailers with two (or more) new cardboard filler pads. all unsealed lps are shipped out of the cover, and new inner sleeves & polybags will be added when needed. always willing to double box, etc. as requested, at slight extra cost.
- delivery confirmation & tracking will be included with all domestic orders.
- single lp shipping rates * please note in most cases 2 LPS SHIP FOR THE SAME RATES AS 1 LP! can depend on exact weight so inquire. -
lp - $5.00 tracked media mail in the usa.
lp - $10.00-$16.00 priority mail in the usa, rates vary.
lp - $15.00 1st class airmail to canada.
lp - $24.00 overseas 1st class airmail.
lp - $36.00 overseas registered airmail.
- domestic orders over $200.00 will require insurance.
- overseas orders over $200.00 will require registered or priority shipping.
- all orders to ITALY, RUSSIA, and POSSIBLY OTHER COUNTRIES over $50.00 will require registered or priority shipping, at the buyers expense. likewise, buyers with low feedback and/or unconfirmed shipping address may be required to purchase registered or priority shipping, at the buyers expense, at my discretion. please ask BEFORE BIDDING if you have concerns.
- overseas customers please note, before bidding : import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the shipping charges. these charges are the buyer's responsibility. please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying.
- happy to combine shipping on any order for the best rates. if you need to know the actual shipping cost for a combined order please ask ahead of time & i'll check options.
- I SHIP QUICK! usually within 24 of payment & almost always within 48.