***BREAKING STRIDE WITH THE LARGE COLLECTION WE'VE BEEN WORKING THROUGH, BUT WILL BE BACK TO THAT WITH A HUGE BATCH OF RARE JAZZ VOCAL LPS IN THE COMING WEEKS. RIGHT NOW WE'VE GOT A ONE-TIME BATCH OF 80+ VERY RARE ORIGINAL JAZZ LPS & ACETATESâ€¦
ARTIST : SUN RA / DAVE COLEMAN / JOE GORDON & ROY HAYNES
TITLE : UNTITLED (MISCELLANEOUS)
LABEL & CATALOG NUMBER : FASSETT RECORDING STUDIO / NO NUMBER
FORMAT : ACETATE LP
COVER CONDITION : NO COVER, as issued.
VINYL CONDITION : VG some surface marks, no major scratches, no chipping or damage to acetate playing surface. one tiny chip at edge. some deep storage dust so could use a professional cleaning. plays with some surface noise but nice clear fidelity, which would likely improve with cleaning. hand-typed labels. HEAR IT below.
NOTES : extremely rare ACETATE lp, the only known copy of this album, circa 1957. these are seemingly samples taken from 3 different planned but never completed releases on the TRANSITION label, which was closely connected with the FASSETT RECORDING STUDIO where this recording was produced. featured are UNRELEASED recordings by SUN RA, DAVE COLEMAN, and JOE GORDON & ROY HAYNES.
this acetate features 7 recordings by SUN RA, all outtakes from the 'JAZZ BY SUN RA' lp on the TRANSITION label (TRLP 10). here the sun ra tracks do not list individual titles on the hand-typed labels, but are simply listed as '#1-#7 SUN RA - EXCERPTS, ALTERNATES, REJECTS, ETC. - TRLP#10'. as the title indicates, these are raw takes complete with studio chatter, abrupt endings, etc., approx. 15 minutes of music by sun ra. the 7 sun ra tracks vary between short snippets & longer more fully developed songs. after much research & consultation with a leading sun ra collector and archivist, we can say with almost complete certainly that all of the sun ra material contained here is UNRELEASED and has never before been reissued or circulated in any form whatsoever. some or all of these tracks may have been intended for inclusion on a 2nd sun ra album on the transition label.
the same side of the acetate also features 1 longer track by DAVE COLEMAN (only titled as 'REJECT EXCERPTS - - (NOT FOR SALE)'. in all likelihood, this track is from the lost album coleman recorded for transition, titled 'THESE THINGS BY DAVE COLEMAN'. the full recording of this album was mistakenly erased before completion, and to the best of our knowledge, this acetate contains the only surviving recording from colemanâ€™s session for transition.
the other side of the acetate features two incomplete versions of a long track titled 'BAGS GROOVE' by the duo of JOE GORDON & ROY HAYNES. the first version of this track has a ruined ending, the second shorter version is the corrected ending only. the two versions as well as the ruined & corrected endings are clearly noted on the label. it seems reasonable to speculate that this recording represents another planned release on transition that failed to reach completion. joe gordon made later recordings of this title, but we believe this unreleased acetate to be the earliest recorded version.
a significant discovery of unissued sun ra outtakes from his early rare transition lp, to the best of our knowledge the only surviving copy. insofar as the labels show side 3 and side 4, we assume a matching acetate labeled side 1 and side 2 was manufactured - and may have survived, although no copies have been reported. the scant available information about this album refers to it as a test pressing, but it is in fact a direct cut acetate as opposed to a pressed record, quite possibly the only copy made. any other reference to this record is likely to the exact same copy being offered here. please contact us with any additional information.
please LISTEN to many samples below, unaltered & taken directly for the actual acetate listed :
SUN RA :
DAVE COLEMAN :
JOE GORDON & ROY HAYNES :
***PLEASE CHECK OUR OTHER LISTINGS FOR 80+ MORE RARE JAZZ LPS, ALL STARTING AT $9.99. MANY GREAT & OBSCURE TITLES...
------- the general stuff :
- PLEASE NOTE : US orders over $200.00 will require insurance / OVERSEAS orders over $200.00 will require PRIORITY shipping / OVERSEAS orders over $1000.00 will require EXPRESS shipping. if you need to know exact rates please inquire BEFORE bidding. thank you.
- PLEASE WAIT FOR MY INVOICE BEFORE PAYING TO INSURE YOU GET THE CORRECT & BEST SHIPPING PRICE...
- PLEASEâ€¦ if you have any problem with your purchase, before leaving feedback or taking other action, please just contact me & we'll work it out!
- i've been selling records in person & through the mail for 15+ years, both on & off ebay, with 100% positive feedback on over 2500 ratings through my other ebay account. i know how to grade (strict, that is) how to pack, and rest assured i aim to please.
- for grading i use : M (rarely) / NM / NM- / EX / VG++ / VG+ / VG / VG- / F graded under bright bare-bulb direct lightâ€¦ unless there are specific mentions of audio quality please consider grading as VISUAL ONLY.
------- the shipping stuff :
- i pack very solid using new high quality heavy weight lp mailers with two (or more) new cardboard filler pads. all unsealed lps are shipped out of the cover, and new inner sleeves & polybags will be added when needed. always willing to double box, etc. as requested, at slight extra cost.
- delivery confirmation & tracking will be included with all domestic orders.
- single lp shipping rates * please note in most cases 2 LPS SHIP FOR THE SAME RATES AS 1 LP! can depend on exact weight so inquire. -
lp - $5.00 tracked media mail in the usa.
lp - $10.00-$16.00 priority mail in the usa, rates vary.
lp - $15.00 1st class airmail to canada.
lp - $24.00 overseas 1st class airmail.
lp - $36.00 overseas registered airmail.
- domestic orders over $200.00 will require insurance.
- overseas orders over $200.00 will require registered or priority shipping.
- overseas orders over $1000.00 will require express shipping.
- all orders to ITALY, RUSSIA, and POSSIBLY OTHER COUNTRIES over $50.00 will require registered or priority shipping, at the buyers expense. likewise, buyers with low feedback and/or unconfirmed shipping address may be required to purchase registered or priority shipping, at the buyers expense, at my discretion. please ask BEFORE BIDDING if you have concerns.
- overseas customers please note, before bidding : import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the shipping charges. these charges are the buyer's responsibility. please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying.
- happy to combine shipping on any order for the best rates. if you need to know the actual shipping cost for a combined order please ask ahead of time & i'll check options.
- I SHIP QUICK! usually within 24 of payment & almost always within 48.
- please pay within 3 days.
( ( ( T H A N K Y O U ) ) )